Bennett Woods Elementary School is proud of the many opportunities
for extended learning that we offer to students and their families.
Below are some highlights:
- High Academic Performance - Bennett Woods consistently ranks as a "high performing school"on state standardized tests. Our students performance on the Michigan Educational Assessment Program tests is consistently among the top in Michigan--above state averages and above surrounding school districts.
- Instruction by Specialists - In addition to a strong core curriculum in the areas of language arts, science, social studies, and math, students are taught art, music and physical education weekly by teachers trained and certified in those areas.They also receive regular opportunities for instruction in the school's excellent media center and computer lab.
- Strong Partnership with Michigan State University - Bennett Woods serves as a placement site for MSU's Teacher Intern program. Fifth year teacher interns work in our classrooms under the supervision of a "collaborating teacher" throughout the year.
- Field Trips Which Connect Learning to the Community - Students in all grade levels participate in numerous field trips throughout the year. These are planned by classroom teachers and are designed to enhance and support the academic curriculum, as well as help our students connect with the surrounding community. Examples of trips include: The Meridian Historical Village, the Water Treatment Center, Michigan Supreme Court, Michigan Historical Museum and the Wharton Center for the Performing Arts. Students also have opportunities for "on-site field trips" when community resources such as the Fire Department, Mobile Weather Lab, and Consumers Energy come to our school.
- Media Center Focus - Our Library Media Center Specialist oversees our popular "Gift-a-Book" program which enhances our school library collection.
- Student Activity Clubs Support Learning - Clubs give our students additional ways to be involved in learning, leadership, and community service during their lunch hours and after school.
- Extensive Support for ALL Learners - Teachers are trained to differentiate curriculum and extend learning for students at all levels. Gifted students receive extensions designed to supplement and enhance the curriculum. At-risk students who need additional support in language arts and math receive individualized tutoring by trained support staff and community volunteers.
- Partnerships Connect Our School and Community - We have active partnerships with community organizations (e.g. Junior Achievement). Local organizations provide community volunteers for our classrooms. We also work in partnership with the Okemos Education Foundation which has provided significant financial support to our school through its teacher mini-grant program and other fund-raising efforts. Our community partnerships also enhance our surrounding community.
- All-School Activities Bring Families Together - Annual school-wide events for families include our Open House, Roller Skating Night, Reading Challenge, International Cafe and Movie Night, Family Science Night, our annual Family Fun Fair and more. Families are invited to participate in school activities, including our annual Holiday "Sing a Long," and more.
- "Young Fives" Provides Choices for Families with Young Children - In addition to our regular K-4 programs throughout the district, there is a "Begindergarten" program that offers a quality education for "young fives." Begindergarten is designed to meet the needs of children who are chronologically or developmentally young. This opportunity gives our parents an additional choice when determining their child's readiness for kindergarten. Begindergarten is located in the Okemos Public Montessori facility.
- Diversity of Our School "Family" Enhances Our Students Lives - Our students and their families come from all over the world, including Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Mexico, Colombia, Canada, India, Germany, Russia and Pakistan. The rich heritage of our families enhances our school and helps our students better relate to and appreciate other cultures.